June 26, 2023 at 1:31pm
Listen to the Article
The Northbrook Park District is excited to celebrate the new playground at Stonegate Park this summer! A Grand Re-Opening Party is planned for Saturday, July 1 from 11:00am to 12:30pm at the park located at 3425 Whirlaway Drive, Northbrook. The event is free and open to the public. Activities will include DJ entertainment, complimentary ice cream while supplies last, a face painter, balloon artist, games, activities, refreshments, giveaways and a free prize drawing.
Stonegate Park is a 10.61 acre community park that includes two playground areas, ball fields, six pickleball courts, a soccer field, and pathways. The renovation project this summer included replacement of the playground equipment last installed in 1999, installation of new synthetic turf safety surface, a new shade structure and path improvements.
The playground at Stonegate Park is the Park District’s most inclusive playground. The new equipment, including playground colors and final design selection, was informed by community input gathered through two neighborhood surveys in 2022. In addition, a cross-functional team from the Parks and Planning Department and the Recreation Division worked together with representatives from Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association to select equipment to best serve park users with special needs.
Inclusive elements in the new playground areas include:
- Ramps on both ends of the play structure that are traversable without leaving a mobility device
- A serenity spot designed for all children with a special focus on children with neurodiversity
- A sensory rail that promotes motor skill development and socialization
- A bridge that provides rocking options and doesn’t require a transfer from a mobility device
- A rocker that brings equity to the play space and promotes inclusivity
- Several swing options that allow children of differing abilities the joy of swinging
- Panels that include alphabets in both braille and sign language along with a café counter with braille lettering
- Accessible drinking fountain
The playground at Stonegate Park is one of three Northbrook Park District playgrounds scheduled for renovation in 2023 as part of the District’s annual Capital Improvement Plan. The new playground at Countryside Park opened in June 2023 and extensive park renovations currently underway at Oaklane Park are scheduled for completion this fall.
For more information about the Grand Re-opening event at Stonegate Park, call 847-291-2993. For more information about District Projects, visit nbparks.org/projects.