Lightning Warning Systems
The Northbrook Park District strives to provide a safe environment for participation in all activities.
The Northbrook Park District has two lightning warning systems. One is located at Heritage Oaks Golf Club with ancillary units at West Park and Wood Oaks Green Park.
The other unit is located at Techny Prairie Park and Fields with ancillary units at the Chalet in Meadowhill Park and Village Green Park.
Location of the Units
- Techny Prairie Park and Fields: Strobe light located on top of the Techny Prairie Center building next to the lake
- Village Green Park: Strobe light located on top of the Village Green Center
- Meadowhill Park: Strobe light located on top of the Chalet next to the Ed Rudolph Velodrome
- Heritage Oaks Golf Club: strobe light located on the golf maintenance building, on the pump house near 17th hole, #5 green/#11 tee on the 18-hole course, and the #4 tee on the east-9 course
- West Park: Strobe light located on the Northbrook Sports Center roof (Northeast corner)
- Wood Oaks Green Park: strobe light located on the south side of the tennis building in the middle of the park
Strike Guard monitors cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning. The lightning warning system will activate when there is an immediate lightning threat in the area. When this occurs you must seek shelter immediately. The unit will deactivate when the immediate threat has passed. After the threat has passed and the siren and strobe are no longer seen or heard you may resume outdoor activities.
Activation (an immediate lightning threat is present)
- One uninterrupted (15-second) siren will sound and a strobe will flash.
Deactivation (the system has determined conditions are safe)
- Three 5-second blasts will sound and the strobe will go off.
- Testing takes place on Tuesdays at 9:30am for the lightning systems. Be sure not to confuse testing with an actual alarm! Testing will not take place if there is threatening weather.
Be vigilant in monitoring threatening weather and always err on the side of caution. Seek shelter immediately if:
- You hear one long siren.
- You hear thunder (regardless of siren).
- You see lightning (regardless of siren).
In cases of a severe weather emergency where there are no shelter/structures available, be sure you:
- Don’t stand under a natural lightning rod (i.e., tree).
- Don’t touch pooled water; stop all water activities.
- Temporary Shelters or tents should not be used as a storm shelter.
- Stay away from metal objects like fences and golf clubs.
- Avoid using the telephone except in emergencies.
- In open fields, seek low areas. If you feel or see hair stand on end, squat down and stand only on the balls of your feet, grab your knees and bend forward. Do not lie flat on the ground.
30/30 Lightning Safety Rule
- Go indoors if, after seeing lightning, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.