May 14, 2020 at 4:07pm
The sounds of serves, volleys, dinks and ground strokes will soon be heard as the Northbrook Park District opens select outdoor tennis and pickleball courts for singles play and private lessons.
Following new guidelines from the State of Illinois and a new order from the Village of Northbrook, the Northbrook Park District has opened select courts for walk-on play, with availability for walk-on play, rentals and private lessons beginning Monday, May 18. The court use guidelines encourage safety through physical distancing, while allowing the public to enjoy the fun and excitement of racquet sports.
“Tennis and pickleball are excellent ways to keep moving and stay fit and I’m particularly excited people can take advantage of the new pickleball courts at Stonegate Park,” said Recreation Supervisor Cameron Edelman. “With the weather warming up, this is an excellent time for the courts to open so we can head outside and play!”
As certain restrictions to Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s stay-at-home order have eased, some recreational activities with minimal contact have been able to resume. Anetsberger Golf Course opened May 1 with safety precautions and operational restrictions in place for golf twosomes.
“Offering opportunities to play and stay active is at the heart of what we do at the Northbrook Park District,” said Executive Director Molly Hamer. “I’ve been impressed with how well golfers adhered to the safety precautions to make the opening of Anetsberger a success and I’m optimistic we can continue to open public spaces while keeping the health of the community in mind.”
Open courts include:
- Crestwood Park, 1824 Milton Avenue: One court available for walk-on play, one court available for rental/walk-on play (tennis courts have pickleball lines)
- Oaklane Park, 636 Berglund Place: One court available for walk-on play
- Stonegate Park, 3425 Whirlaway Drive: Three pickleball courts available for walk-on play, one pickleball court available for rental/walk-on play
- Williamsburg Park, 200 Lee Road: Two courts available for rental/walk-on play (tennis courts have pickleball lines)
- Wood Oaks Green Park, 1150 Sanders Road: one tennis court available for walk-on play; three courts available for rental/walk-on play
The courts at West Park and the practice court at Wood Oaks Green Park remain closed for repairs at this time.
Courts will be open 7am-8pm daily. The following rules for play and rentals will be posted at all court locations and are available at nbparks.org/tennis:
- All outdoor pickleball and tennis courts are restricted to singles play or private lessons only. Doubles play and group lessons are not allowed.
- Courts will turn over on the hour. Players may continue playing if no other players are waiting. Courts designated for lessons or rentals are available for open play when a permit has not been issued. Players must exit the court when a permitted pair arrive. Daily schedules and a map of court designations are posted at the courts and available at nbparks.org/tennis.
- Private lessons are allowed for a 1-on-1 format only. Instructors must have insurance and secure a permit from the District.
- Players must bring their own set of balls. Each player’s balls must be labeled and identifiable. A maximum of 3 balls per player is permitted. Players should serve with their set of balls. If the other player’s ball ends up on your side of the court, use your racquet or foot to return the ball to the other player.
- Before, during and after play, players must maintain a minimum distance of 6 feet from other people.
- Face coverings are recommended but not required.
- No handshakes, paddle bumps or physical contact between players.
- Players are encouraged to bring and use hand sanitizer.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains will not be available.