Our pool staff takes your family’s safety seriously, but they cannot do it alone. We remind parents and guardians that children should not be left unattended at the pool. Young children and non-swimmers should be supervised directly—within touching distance—by a responsible adult.
Summer is the perfect time for swim lessons! Children are tested at the beginning of each session and grouped by ability, progressing through the levels as they master the skills. Register today.
Safety is the number one priority of the Northbrook Park District. All Managers, Lifeguards, and Swim Lesson Instructors must be certified by StarGuard or StarFish Swimming before being allowed to guard or teach. Both certifications are through Starfish Aquatics Institute, which has developed a risk management system and competency-based training program used by aquatic facilities around the world.
In addition, several staff members hold CPO (Certified Pool Operator) Licenses or AFO (Aquatic Facility Operator) Licenses. The national certification demonstrates that pool operators have completed the required education and training for proper facility and staff management and signifies our commitment to providing the highest level of service and professional excellence.
The Park District takes the following action to train pool staff and keep them vigilant:
All Staff: Northbrook Park District Staff Orientation (2 hours)—Covers Risk Management, Personnel and Participant Conduct, and Customer Service
Managers: Lifeguard Skills Training Review (3 hours), Guard Training (24 hours), Facility Reviews (6 hours)
Guards: Guard Certification Training (24 hours for new guards, 20 hours for recertification), Facility Training (3 hours)
Swim Lesson Instructors: Instructor Trainer Certification (16 hours), Instructor Certification Training (8 hours)
- Lifeguard In-Services: Mandatory 4 hours per month
- Vigilance Awareness Testing: Scan Watches are completed each week at each facility
- 1-2 Live Action Rescues, Dummy Rescues or Shadow Drops per facility
- Swim Lesson Instructor In-Services: Mandatory 1 hour per month
- Staff completes one internal audit each month, based on StarGuard and PDRMA (Park District Risk Management Agency) standards
- Cook County Public Health Department conducts 1-2 audits per facility each season
- PDRMA conducts unannounced audits during the summer
- Starfish Aquatics Institute – StarGuard will conduct 3 audits of our facilities during the summer
- Starfish Aquatics Institute – StarFish Swimming will conduct one audit of our lessons during the summer