The annual Northbrook tradition which puts one’s ability to transform cardboard into a sea-worthy vessel is back on Saturday, July 23. The Northbrook Cardboard Regatta starts at 10am Saturday morning at the Northbrook Sports Center, 1730 Pfingsten Road.
Join the Northbrook Park District for a challenging, fun and wet adventure that combines cardboard, tape, creativity, energy and engineering. Build a cardboard boat, bring it to the pool and race against other homemade boats. Awards will be presented for speed, creativity, people’s choice and team spirit. Each team member must register individually by Wednesday, July 20. Recreation Supervisor Taylor Witter can’t wait to host the popular event, stating “We’re excited to see the unique creations everyone brings to the water!”
For more information about the Cardboard Regatta or the Northbrook Sports Center, call 847-291-2993.
• The boat structure and oars must be constructed entirely out of flat cardboard and duct tape provided by you. (Paper towel rolls, cardboard tubes and barrels cannot be used.)
• The only adhesive allowed is duct tape, and it can be used only on the seams of the boat. Colored duct tape is permitted.
• The hull of the boat cannot be covered in plastic wrap, shrink wrap or duct tape.
• You cannot use paint on your boat. Any decorative marking must use permanent markers.
• The structure of the boat cannot be taller than the passengers’ shoulders; all passengers must be visible while in the boat.
• Boats must be free of sharp edges, pointed objects and anything that could cause injury.
• All participants must register and complete a program waiver and release form before the day of the event.
• The boat must be constructed and ready upon arrival at the event.
• No more than two people are allowed to pilot the boat. However, more than two people are allowed to participate in the construction of the boat.
• After the event, you can take your boat home or place it in the dumpster. Do not leave your boat on the grass or pool deck.
• Rules are subject to change by Park District Staff.
• Winners will receive awesome prizes!
• To qualify as a finisher, the captain and co-captain must remain in the boat from start to finish of the race.
• Boats with the fastest times in their heats will advance to the semifinals, followed by the finals.
First Place: Fastest boat
The Yacht Award: Most creatively designed boat
Stylish Sea Captains: Best dressed boat passengers
Greatest Titanic Moment: The finest sinking