Services to Residents with Disabilities
Northbrook Park District is a partner with Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA). Formed in 1970, NSSRA is an extension of ten park districts, two cities and one village in the northern suburbs of Chicago and provides and facilitates year-round recreation programs and services for children, teens and adults with disabilities. NSSRA offers recreation, sport, cultural, social, and leisure programs and events available throughout the year, creating new experiences, opportunities for skill development, leisure time, and perhaps most importantly, friendship. NSSRA has been creating an environment of belonging through play since 1970, and has the distinction of being the first Special Recreation Association in the country.
We believe that everyone should have the chance to try something new. This means you have the opportunity to participate in any one of NSSRA’s nearly 600 annual programs, or that you have the opportunity to participate in one of the Northbrook Park District programs with the assistance of an NSSRA Inclusion companion.”
Northbrook Park District program Inclusion services are available to residents with special needs at no additional cost to the family. Inclusion services may include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a Northbrook Park District program
- Northbrook Park District staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a Northbrook Park District program for the first time:
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form to indicate that the participant will require assistance from NSSRA
- Once your registration form is submitted, the Northbrook Park District will contact you to discuss the type of Inclusion support needed for the participant
- The Northbrook Park District will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- You will be contacted by NSSRA to discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the Northbrook Park District to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between you, NSSRA, Northbrook Park District staff continues throughout the Inclusion process
For more information regarding Northbrook Park District Inclusion services contact:
For more information about Northern Suburban Special Recreation Association (NSSRA) go to www.nssra.org
3105 MacArthur Blvd.
Northbrook, IL 60062
Northbrook Park District and the ADA
The Northbrook Park District provides recreation opportunities for all residents and encourages participation by everyone. Programs and services are subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as all applicable laws regarding nondiscrimination. We are happy to make reasonable modifications to assist anyone with special needs who wants to participate in a program. Contact the District in advance of a program to discuss any necessary accommodation or if you need Park District materials in a special format, such as Braille, large print or audio cassette.
The Park District provides a grievance process for resolution of any ADA complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of a disability. If you have concerns about Park District ADA compliance, contact Eileen Loftus, Director of Leisure Services, c/o Northbrook Park District, 545 Academy Drive, Northbrook, Illinois, 60062, phone 847-291-2960 or email email@example.com. The Park District is reviewing its programs and practices in regard to ADA requirements and invites comments from the public.