Thank you for a great 2016 Season!
Lessons and Programs
The Park District offers a variety of aquatic classes. We offer lessons in the summer at Meadowhill Aquatic Center. We also offer aquatic programming throughout the school year on various Sundays at Glenbrook North High School.
See the current recreation guide for available classes.
Northbrook swim lessons follow Starfish Swim/Stroke School. The philosophy of Starfish Swim/Stroke School is based upon several core beliefs that include:
- A relationship exists between instructor behaviors and student performance
- Students learn in different ways and have different readiness levels
- The focus should be on ability, not disability, achievement, not errors
- Multiple methods of instruction, including “learn by doing” results in higher levels of student performance.
- Effective instructional methods can be learned and developed.
Northbrook Swim Lesson Curriculum
Children are tested at the beginning of each session and grouped by ability, progressing through the levels as they master the skills.
Level I (white)—The core competency is trust and submersion. Safety skills include asking permission and safe water entry and exit.
Level II (red)—The core competency is body positions and air recovery. Safety skills include the back float air recovery position and proper use of life jackets.
Level III (yellow)—Forward movement and direction change are the focus. Safety skills include reach or throw assists and calling 9-1-1.
Level IV (blue)—Rotary movement is the core competency. Safety skills include the side glide air recovery position and treading water.
Level V (green)—The core competency is integrated movement, incorporating the side glide air recovery position with forward movement. Safety skills include further endurance in treading water and the survival float.
The Northbrook Park District is an authorized Provider of the Starfish Swimming Curriculum.
Our pool staff takes your family’s safety seriously but cannot do it alone. We remind parents and guardians that children should not be left unattended at the pool. Young children and nonswimmers should be supervised directly—within touching distance—by a responsible adult.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Certification and Training
Safety is the number one priority of the Northbrook Park District. All Managers, Lifeguards and Swim Lesson Instructors must be certified by StarGuard or StarFish Swimming before being allowed to guard or teach. Both certifications are through Starfish Aquatics Institute, which has developed a risk management system and competency-based training program used by aquatic facilities around the world.
In addition, several staff members hold CPO (Certified Pool Operator) Licenses or AFO (Aquatic Facility Operator) Licenses. The national certification demonstrates that pool operators have completed the required education and training for proper facility and staff management and signifies our commitment to providing the highest level of service and professional excellence.
The Park District takes the following action to train pool staff and keep them vigilant:
All Staff: Northbrook Park District Staff Orientation (2 hours)—Covers Risk Management, Personnel and Participant Conduct, and Customer Service
Managers: Lifeguard Skills Training Review (3 hours), Guard Training (24 hours), Facility Reviews (6 hours)
Guards: Guard Certification Training (24 hours for new guards, 20 hours for recertification),
Facility Training (3 hours)
Swim Lesson Instructors: Instructor Trainer Certification (16 hours), Instructor Certification Training (8 hours)
- Lifeguard In-Services: Mandatory 4 hours per month
- Vigilance Awareness Testing: Scan Watches are completed each week at each facility and
1-2 Live Action Rescues, Dummy Rescues or Shadow Drops per facility
- Swim Lesson Instructor In-services: Mandatory 1 hour per month
- Staff completes one internal audit each month, based on StarGuard and PDRMA (Park District Risk Management Agency) standards
- Cook County Public Health Department conducts 1-2 audits per facility each season.
- PDRMA conducts unannounced audits during the summer.
- Starfish Aquatics Institute - StarGuard will conduct 3 audits of our facilities during the summer.
- Starfish Aquatics Institute - StarFish Swimming will conduct one audit of our lessons during the summer.
®The Starfish Swimming wordmark and starlet logo are registered trademarks of the Starfish Aquatics Institute.